Friday, November 2, 2018

SEO - Job Interview Situation

Looking for some input from others who may have been in a similar scenario... I would appreciate some insight.

Context: Without going into all of the details, I’ve been doing paid media (search, social, display) for the past 5 years but really been tinkering with digital marketing for longer. I’m a data driven digital marketer that has only really touched SEO tangentially. Additionally, for the past year, I’ve had a SEO direct report that has taught me a lot about executing an SEO strategy.

Fast forward to now, I’ve been interviewing for a position that is SEO/SEM position and the company has determined that it’s more of an SEO role, mostly because they haven’t gotten paid to work out in the past. I’ve been able to get through a few phone interviews and seemingly answer all of their SEO questions pretty well with my knowledge and they may invite me onsite.

So my question: is it silly to me to invest in learning more SEO terminology and tactics in the next two weeks and try to “fake it till you make it”? I know enough to recognize a lot of opportunities from a technical standpoint but have never actually put together a full plan. I am worried I may be getting in over my head but feel like I will automatically DQ myself if I raise concerns with them that I’m not exactly an “SEO expert”. (At least not in my eyes)

For what it’s worth, they don’t have anyone that really knows much about SEO or analytics on their team currently so that makes me feel better about potentially figuring it out as I go along.

Would love to hear if anyone has been in a similar boat to see if it has worked or not?

submitted by /u/foryouguys
[link] [comments]

from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/comments/9tojrf/seo_job_interview_situation/>

No comments:

Post a Comment