Wednesday, January 29, 2020

[Case Study] Invested $171.95 & 298 hours on a blog in a year and now it returns me $400/month.

It was November 2018 when I discovered the term "Event Blogging".

After researching a bit, I thought to create a simple Wordpress blog where I will write about an upcoming movie. The movie was about to launch in January 2019.

And, I immediately bought a domain and web hosting both from Namecheap.

  • .com Domain: $8.88 for a year
  • Shared Hosting: $17.28 for a year

That's a total of $26.16.

After setting up everything, wrote 3-4 articles in the next 2 weeks about the movie including some random details related to the movie casts and stuff.

Nothing happened.

Later on, I deleted all those 3-4 articles and started writing about a few popular exams in India - like eligibility criteria, syllabus, dates, books to prepare, etc.

On average, I was publishing 1 article of ~1000 words almost every week.

No link-building at all. Just basic on-page optimizations.

From March 2019, started seeing some traffic of about 1000/month on the site.

Kept doing the same - 1 article per week (but, now the articles were a bit longer; ~2000 words), and till November 2019 the monthly traffic on the site reached 12000.

Till October 2019, no ads or affiliate promotion on the site - so ZERO earning.

I, then, created a detailed and genuine sample test/mock test for one of the exams which I was getting most of the traffic for.

[And, it was not difficult for me to create the mock test questions, since I, myself, had appeared for the same exam a few years back.]

Launched.

Placed a banner on the sidebar, and created several internal links inside the posts which were getting traffic.

In December 2019, it brought me $250.

And, in January 2020, by the time of writing this post, it had brought me $350. And, I'm pretty sure it will touch $400 this month.

Monthly traffic has gone to almost 16k now.

That's it.

NOW, LET'S DO SOME MATHS.

Mock Test creation platform that I used costs me $30 per month. And, it's been 3 months since I'm using.

$30 * 3 = $90

And, the previous $26.16

In November 2019, I transferred the domain to Namesilo ($8.39) and hosted at Siteground ($47.40 for a year).

$90 + $26.16 + $8.39 + $47.40 = $171.95

Total Money Invested till Now = $171.95

Now, let's calculate the invested time.

I spent an average of approx. 3.5 hours per week for writing and publishing each blog posts. And, there are 78 posts on the site, currently.

3.5 hours * 78 = 273 hours

And, spent approx. 25 hours designing the Mock Test.

Total Time Invested till Now = 298 hours

That's an average of 4.96 hours per week (from Nov 2018 to Jan 2020; approx. 60 weeks now), and approx. 45 minutes per day.

SOME RANDOM FACTS

  • This wasn't my main blog.
  • I invested only the extra time during weekends that I got after a few SEO clients and my main blog.
  • Till now, I haven't done any kinds of link building on the site - not even a guest post.
  • 100% of the traffic comes from Google.
  • The site only has a Twitter account (no other social media accounts) with 18 followers and zero engagement.

WRAPPING IT UP

I didn't have a proper idea of what I'll do with the site. I just got into and started doing something. Soon, changed the idea from writing about a movie to writing about various exams.

And, kept on writing without having a lot of expectations from the site. I didn't even know how I will monetize the site.

But, everything kept moving by time.

Imagine! Just 45 minutes every day.

Start doing. Stop procrastinating.

Thanks.

I'm open to any questions that you might have.

PS: Please don't ask the website's name or the exam's name that I have mentioned.

submitted by /u/Final_Initial
[link] [comments]

from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/comments/evkknp/case_study_invested_17195_298_hours_on_a_blog_in/>

No comments:

Post a Comment