Monday, May 31, 2021

Google Disagrees With My Canonical

Google stopped indexing most of my pages. The reason has to do with the canonical url. Google crawls the pages and sets a canonical link different than the one listed on the page. Before, my canonicals had been botched. As of yesterday, it has been fixed. However, Google is continuing to choose the main page as the canonical for almost all of the pages.

I'm unsure what the precise cause is and how I should go about fixing it. Should I make a crappy version of the web site and serve it only to search engines? Is it possible that the canonical issue could be resolved simply by having more inbound links? Should I pre-render content and wrap it with a pair of <noscript> tags?

There are a few things I think might be of relevance:

1) Lack of pre-rendering: I've moved away from a monolithic frontend + backend architecture, and towards a more scalable and distributed UI + API design. The URLs are still crawlable, however content is loaded via JavaScript. Google and Bing both crawl the links and they both obtain content via the API. Are Google and Bing currently indexing JavaScript-heavy pages?

2) Other JavaScript issues: I set the canonical and page title on both the front and back-end. Canonicals are also updated whenever the page updates. I also execute some less common operations such as "replaceState". I have no idea how their crawlers handle these types of things.

3) No site map: There are a 100K+ pages that are readily crawlable. These pages are only reachable via a listing of links on a series of hidden HTML pages.

submitted by /u/FilmWeasle
[link] [comments]

from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/comments/npgmlk/google_disagrees_with_my_canonical/>

No comments:

Post a Comment