Tuesday, December 28, 2021

I Was Turned Down For Being Too Young In SEO

This story began two weeks before Christmas when I sent over one of my digital marketing attack plans to a potential client. The video was only 10-15 minutes but I thought it did a really great job outlining what that business missed as far as SEO goes and even more so it did a great job highlighting their competitors and what their current strategies were. The client seemed to think so too as they emailed me back saying "Wow that was better than what I've received from any agency I've worked within the past" and from there we set a time to meet for a zoom call and follow up meeting.

Now fast forward to the weekend before Christmas and I had gotten really excited for this meeting and about 10 minutes before the meeting the business owner jumps on and I can sense that something seems a little off the moment he sees me, but we continue forward throughout the meeting without any problems. I felt that it went almost perfectly I answered all the questions well, the conversation really flowed, and most importantly I felt that he really was involved throughout the entire meeting, but then he ask me "Hey so how old are you?" and not really thinking anything about it I said "23, but I've been doing marketing for a while now as that was my major in college and I've owned this business for over two years." After I gave the answer I could really sense a feeling of doubt creep onto his face as he followed that up by saying "So how do you know you'll stay in this business? I mean when I was 23 I tried so many different things in life and ended up in a completely different career" and while this seemed like a valid point as many people tend to switch fields throughout their life I've always felt marketing was just something that interested me so I responded with essentially that response telling him "Marketing has always just been something that interests me and I like helping business owners". Again not the response he was quite looking for but we closed off the meeting and said our goodbyes.

Now the day before Christmas I get an email from him informing me that he won't be moving forward with me as his SEO service, and while that hurt me a little bit I decided to ask why and he said that he would just feel more comfortable with a more established company. Which to me felt as though he was trying to avoid saying the age problem without really saying it but maybe I'm looking too much into it. But is there really a too young to be an entrepreneur type of age? I always looked at it as starting young gave you more freedom to make mistakes as you didn't have kids to pay for and had more time to recover.

submitted by /u/Juicetin1998
[link] [comments]

from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/comments/rqaqqi/i_was_turned_down_for_being_too_young_in_seo/>

No comments:

Post a Comment