Friday, June 28, 2019

Question: How to Deal with Redirects from Duplicate Title Pages/Post?

Since I joined my current company I am now in charge of a brand new Wordpress website custom designed with the Divi Theme. It was a pure developer built site and created without much thought for UX or SEO. I have a lot of marketing responsibilities, so working on the technical aspects of website is not always a top priority. Regardless of persisting issues with a theme builder like Divi, I have been able to do a lot to increase organic traffic site wide and form conversions (easy since they didn't really have any before I started).

The biggest issue I'm having questions about is Blog Posts and custom Resources pages. Essential, I have a blog sub-page that list blog post. I also have a custom made Resources Page on the site that is a repository of Case Studies, Press Releases, Whitepapers, Collateral, and Blog Posts. I create the blog posts no problem, but then I have to create a resource page with the same title and a small intro snippet for that post to appear on the Resources Page. That means I have two separate pages, with the same Titles but different URL's. I redirect those Resource pages to the actual blog page because that's where the actual content is. Easy peasy.

The questions is, should I also canonicalize those already 301 redirected resource pages to the blog posts? They are already 301 redirected, so I am passing value, but is that clear enough in terms of the preferred page? I also wonder if I should no-index those resource pages...I've hesitated to do that. For one, in my gut that feels wrong and if I canonicalize that's a clear signal of the preferred page for search results.

TL;DR

Can't decide if I should canonicalize 301 redirected duplicate content pages.

submitted by /u/oracleoutside
[link] [comments]

from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/comments/c6kvhk/question_how_to_deal_with_redirects_from/>

No comments:

Post a Comment