Sunday, June 28, 2020

I completely changed the topic and direction of my website. Am I likely to ever rank well?

I started a website around 12 months ago. It was dedicated to my freelance writing services and it had a blog section. Initially, I was blogging about random topics that didn't have much to do with what I write about in my normal daily work.

I realized after a while that writing about random shit was a mistake in terms of trying to market myself as a writer in a specific niche (infosec). I started a separate personal blog for my random posts and redirected all article links from my writing website to that new blog.

I then began writing niche-focused topics around information security. However, looking in Google Search Console, I am getting absolutely zero traction with these posts: no clicks, no traffic. I have posted 8 articles in total within the last 40 days; all of them 800 words+ and following SEO best practices. All of them targeting relatively low competition keywords.

Doing a "site" command in Google for my website, I see that only one of my articles on infosec is currently indexed. The rest of my indexed pages are old category pages from my previous website layout. Testing the URLs in GSC, Google tells me my articles are all live and can be indexed. But they're not getting indexed.

I am concerned that such a radical shift in the main topics of my website has caused Google to completely disregard any authority with no hope of ever ranking.

I guess my question is should I continue posting on this website? Or call it a dead project and start again elsewhere?

Thanks for any advice.

submitted by /u/throawayarsebiscuits
[link] [comments]

from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/comments/hhd5f6/i_completely_changed_the_topic_and_direction_of/>

No comments:

Post a Comment