Wednesday, July 28, 2021

After months of planning, writing, publishing... I need help with my SEO (and overall business) strategy. Detailed post within.

Hi all. I hope this is OK to post.

I've been gradually learning about SEO for the last three years. For background, I am a college counselor who offers an extremely high-cost product (12k+ per client). I take on about 10-15 clients per year and I'm just starting to see results from a more dedicated local SEO strategy. My audience is highly specific. Very, very few people are viable customers for my product.

HOWEVER: I am a writer at core, and I've recently taken to heart the importance of creating passive income to complement my work. That in mind, I have my sights set on a broader SEO strategy that will drive leads to a digital course or ebook.

I am concerned that building up larger-volume search traffic with the intention of driving people to a digital product will muck up the waters for my small traffic client acquisition.

This is kind of where my problems start.

Concern #1: How / whether to separate my low-volume / high-cost services from my high-volume / low cost digital products

Thinking I was smart, I commissioned a developer to build a second site that was entirely optimized for my content and for email capture.

My rationale was that I would use this site for posts designed to capture larger traffic volume.

I would focus on capturing emails and use this email list to sell my digital products. (I could also, if I chose, advertise my direct consulting services through my email list -- keeping my low-volume, high cost service a step removed from my high-volume, low cost product funnel.)

But I'm starting to question my wisdom. Specifically, I am concerned that I might be better served to keep ALL my traffic on one site.

Concern #1: Should I be using wordpress, webflow, or...?

My current sites are built on Wordpress, which seemed like a big upgrade from Squarespace, which I was using previously. I thought the design flexibility and better SEO tools were great.

But now I've discovered Webflow and I'm starting to again question my platform. I'm not a developer so it's hard for me to make changes to my Wordpress site. I also think it's going to be a big pain to sell digital products through my hacked-together wordpress site.

I also don't love having 0 clue about or control over whether my site was built in a way that plays nice with SEO.

I am considering making a move to webflow as the platform seems much more accessible for my goals. I also think the SEO dashboard is way better and I love the flexibility of design.

Summary

So, in sum, I am trying to deal with two problems which are at the intersection of SEO and business strategy:

  1. To fragment or not to fragment. Does it make more sense to create two sites--one focusing on local keywords to attract high-value customers, another focusing on general high-traffic search terms to drive people toward a digital product--or one that tries to balance both?
  2. Should I bite the bullet and switch to webflow or keep things going on my current wordpress solution? Or should I build my digital product site on Webflow and keep my consulting project on the current wordpress platform?

I need help. I've been working my ass off to craft a good digital strategy but I'm feeling like I"m just tripping over my own feet here. I could really use some guidance from someone.

Thanks.

submitted by /u/MisterMcNeil
[link] [comments]

from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/comments/otjxt1/after_months_of_planning_writing_publishing_i/>

No comments:

Post a Comment