Saturday, July 31, 2021

Can local SEO beat national companies? Is this worth tackling?

I've been a content writer for a few years and get lots of great feedback, etc., but I am taking more of an interest in the bigger picture of SEO. A good friend of mine is a wedding DJ and asked if I would help him build a simple website. No problem. I'm trying to determine if I could/should use his site to practice some SEO techniques that aren't part of my contracted work.

The first thing I'd like to determine is what chance there is to rank. I have a good deal of research to do, but searched for "wedding DJ <CITY>" to get a feel.

The first listing is an ad for Thumbtack

Then you get to the map and 3 djs who at least registered with google my business

The next site is for The Knot

1 listing for an actual DJ

1 listing for weddingwire

1 listing for a dj company

then the "people also ask" section

A couple of companies, etc.

I heard someone say on a podcast that google tends to prefer local businesses over national chains: is that true?

It seems like the top sites are mostly big chains: thumbtack, the knot, and wedding wire.

Obviously, I have some research to do. Even searching "wedding DJ <City + state>" reveals similar results but in a slightly different order.

I guess what I'm asking is if a local website can take on the big companies like wedding wire, the knot, etc. From what I can tell from the actual companies that show on the first page, there isn't a ton of solid SEO competition.

I'm fine putting in many months of SEO work to see if I can get his site ranked (and to learn on an actual project).

What methods do you use to size up the competition to determine if you have a fighting chance to rank for certain keywords?

submitted by /u/dangerhaynes
[link] [comments]

from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/comments/ovjqfv/can_local_seo_beat_national_companies_is_this/>

No comments:

Post a Comment