Saturday, April 27, 2019

Linkbuilding is shit

I'm going to be super controversial: I think backlinks are way overhyped.

Everywhere I go, people are so adamant that links are everything. Sorry, but I'm not quite convinced. I'm hoping some of you guys can prove me wrong.

I don't know of a single experiment where links vs quality content was tested parallel to one another. I.e make a site with mediocre content and load it with links vs quality content with no back links.

So, I decided to experiment with two of my own websites. This is a MINI-experiment and should be taken with a grain of salt. This by NO MEANS expansive and comprehensive.


Website 1: Azon product reviews. I have about 25k words worth of articles that I wrote. Note that I never purchase the products so the content is pretty flimsy. Although this shouldn't matter too much because my top competitors definitely never purchased the products.

I bought several link packages on BHW and even have a couple whitehat links -- which was a lot of work. For white hat practice, I would email manufacturers and build a relationship with their marketing director.

Also I have a guy from Silicon Valley who is pointing his relevant expired domains to my site.

Words: 25k

Articles: 10

Total Backlinks: ~150

Clicks from Google (Based on GSC): 11

Impressions: 992

Total Time: 9 months


Website 2: Info Product Reviews. I actually asked for review copies or opted in for a free trial before writing every review. If I couldn't get the product, I didn't review it. I skyped product owners to build relationships.

Words: 20k

Articles: 10

Total Backlinks: 0

Clicks from Google (Based on GSC): 60

Impressions: 3820

Total Time: 4 months


Has anyone experienced something similar or do links sky rocket your rankings?

submitted by /u/kgoto2
[link] [comments]

from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/comments/bi69aq/linkbuilding_is_shit/>

No comments:

Post a Comment