Sunday, February 28, 2021

Advice on using redirects when moving website from blogger to Google sites

Hi folks , I'm a small business owner , my organisation mainly povides support to NGOS and social issue organisations.

I'm in the process of switching my website from blogger to Google sites. I'm keeping the same domain but pointing it to sites rather than blogger.

I was wondering if you could give me some advice on the best way to treat the old site and redirects.

What are the best practices with how to treat the old blogger based

Should I

A) turn it off completely ? B) set blogger so that it can't be found on search engines ? C) use a meta refreshed redirect ?

I'm a bit concerned that meta refresh reddrects might make us be flagged for spam/ delisted.

(Blogger can't do 301 redirects , and we can't make the new URL structure match the old unfortunatelt)

For context , we don't really aim to generate cold leads or enquiries from search/our website or sell to the public. Basically we assume that our website is a backup reference point so that anyone who already knows about us can find us and read some more. It's not very important for people to be able to search for the sort of thing we do and find us. We mainly just want to make sure that people who search our company name can find us.

  • we don't really anticipate that a lot of traffic will end up on our old site. We are small , but have been going for a few years. We mainly want o make sure anyone who ends up on the old site by mistake knows it's on old site and can find the new one.

.

submitted by /u/zukerblerg
[link] [comments]

from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/comments/ludj3q/advice_on_using_redirects_when_moving_website/>

No comments:

Post a Comment