Saturday, February 27, 2021

Where do I start,as an SEO noob?

My problem is that SEO as a subject is so full of SEO experts competing that I feel I can't trust the authority of the top search results! This is maybe silly, but I'd appreciate some pointers about what stuff I should learn about first. I am not against learning things myself, or finding a freelancer or an agency to help me, but I don't know who is going to be right for me and my budget.

I've had a few websites for my businesses over the last 20 years, and I have one in particular which has an e-commerce shop. I have just completed a spreadsheet with all my products and variations, and intend to rebuild the site from the ground up in wordpress so that it is fast, optimized, user-friendly and effective. The currently live version of the site brings in less than $100/month, and it is a niche product, with average sales around $8 (with some free products and some high-ticket items around $60-$100) We sell mostly downloadable products and a few physical ones, so we could scale up significantly without much difficulty in terms of infrastructure.

I have no idea how much money I should be spending just now to try and ensure that I do everything properly as I rebuild the site. I have no great idea about strategy - how to do keyword research effectively, how to write my URLs, titles, meta tags, image tags etc... Whether I should be focussed on new consistent content, or getting backlinks, or reviews, or spending on e.g. facebook ads or adwords. I don't know how competitive my market is for the keywords, or who my main competitors are, or examples of people doing it right in my industry. I don't know how competitive I am. I don't know the size of my potential market. All of these subjects seem relevant, but I have no way of prioritizing them!

I do have confidence in the quality and USP of my products. I have a reasonably performing mailing list of c.1300, and around 5k facebook likes. But I would like to scale things up to around 10x the size of the operation at the moment.

Where do I start?

submitted by /u/wunderbar_nana
[link] [comments]

from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/comments/ltmu4e/where_do_i_startas_an_seo_noob/>

No comments:

Post a Comment