Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Sudden spike in organic traffic stumping me

Hi all,

I had a sudden spike in organic traffic to a particular blog page yesterday, and it has appeared to settle back down today. The spike is LARGE. This. page went from bringing in about 15-30 organic visitors a day to 17,000 yesterday and 900 today.While it is not unheard of for one page to get 17k organic visitors (it's a pretty well established site) it is very weird for this page in particular. I am trying to figure out exactly what happened here. I have checked the following and am stumped:

- Traffic source is organic (bots would be direct or referral from my understanding)
- Checked location of traffic for the past 2 days and there is no spike in traffic from a far away land
- There was no mention of this article on a popular site/ by an influencer
- Session duration is 39s, with 2.5 pages per session - if it were bots, the session duration would have been much lower
- Ahrefs does show me that yesterday, this page suddenly started ranking for 300 new keywords, however, these keywords are low volume and the ranking is 50+ so this wouldn't explain such a high increase.

I suspect this is bots, however, I can't find the telltale signs that it is. Does anyone have any other insight or advice on how to figure this out?

Thanks!

submitted by /u/Glitterparty9
[link] [comments]

from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/comments/lrx67t/sudden_spike_in_organic_traffic_stumping_me/>

No comments:

Post a Comment