Sunday, September 26, 2021

Does setting up a CNAME affect SEO?

TL,DR: New and improved website is live as a non-www version (the old version was also non-www). I'm considering setting up a "www" CNAME record for people that might type in "www". Could this negatively affect SEO?

I just completed a significant website redesign a few days ago. The site ranked very highly for a lot of target keywords, but the conversion rate was not very high because the website was not designed very will for conversions.

My skillset is definitely more on the conversion rate optimization (CRO) side of things rather than SEO, though I do know the SEO basics. I also understand the importance of SEO. Naturally, we'd like to keep those search rankings high.

Here's something the original SEO (very skilled and well-respected SEO person in my local area) for the site said, which confused me a little bit:

> Make sure when you push the site live, you use the non-www version. I just had a client mix this up and use the wrong version - and rankings tanked.

I've got the new site live with the non-www version. I'm considering setting up a "www" CNAME record in case someone does happen to type in "www" before the domain, but I'm a bit scared that this might hurt my SEO.

Do you think this is actually a significant concern?

Let me know what you guys think. Thank you in advance!

submitted by /u/klausbaudelaire1
[link] [comments]

from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/comments/pw533n/does_setting_up_a_cname_affect_seo/>

No comments:

Post a Comment