Sunday, March 31, 2019

WPEngine - My experience

I started using WP Engine about 2 years ago. I moved from Blue Host, so it was significant step up.

Pros:

- Easy to reach customer support

- Good at fixing small issues

- Ease of use

Cons:

- Price: Compared to what you get, it's a total ripoff

- Lack of urgency when your site goes down

- One size fits all service. It's efficient for them, not so much for you.

My site has been down at least a few times, in some cases for almost 2 days. When I contacted WP Engine, they told me that it's because of a "noisy neighbor" sharing the server and there's basically nothing they can do about it. I have a small business website. I cannot afford any downtime during business hours, much less for 2 days.

The last straw was when they force updated everyone to PHP 7.2. My theme had compatibility issues with 7.2. I couldn't even get into the back end to diagnose the problem. They couldn't roll back to a previous PHP version, so I basically had to drop everything and redesign my site. I got the sense that they really don't give a crap about the customer.

It was an absolutely horrible experience. I've migrated to a a small private hosting provider where I get my own server. It's significantly faster than WP Engine.

Just my two cents.

submitted by /u/strummer6969
[link] [comments]

from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/comments/b7o85p/wpengine_my_experience/>

No comments:

Post a Comment