Saturday, August 31, 2019

Canadian business with .COM domain - should I switch to .CA?

Hello! New user to this sub so I apologize if it's covered elsewhere.

I'm running the backend stuff for my wife's Canadian business (website/wordpress, Google ads, accounting, etc). It's fairly new but things are starting to finally go well with her clients and Google Ads. So I want to push further with the SEO and get things set up properly long term and be less reliant on Google Ads.

I purchased the .COM domain thinking for the future if we expanded internationally it would be better to have the .COM instead of the .CA for reputation and all that jazz. I've been researching into SEO a bit more and it appears a .CA would have better SEO results for Canada -- which is where we are and targeting clients and will be for the next foreseeable future as it's a regulated profession and the laws change from Country to Country and even Province to Province and State to State.

Anyhow, I've purchased the .CA domain also. There is very little content, page authority or domain authority currently on the .COM website. Again, our focus for the near future will be strictly Canada (expanding into the US may or may not happen). My questions are:

  1. Should I switch our website (wordpress) over to the .CA domain and start my SEO from that instead of the .COM?

  2. Do I lose my "link juice" (probably next to none) if I do a redirect from the .COM to the .CA?

Anything else I might have missed or didn't consider?

Thanks so much for any insights.

submitted by /u/makeawesome
[link] [comments]

from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/comments/cy0g26/canadian_business_with_com_domain_should_i_switch/>

No comments:

Post a Comment