Thursday, November 26, 2020

Canonical Help

I'm trying to clear up technical errors on a site. I used Ahrefs crawler to help identify problems within pages to create a checklist for me to work through. One of the largest errors I get is the "Duplicate pages without canonical"

I started to research what this meant and I think I have a basic understanding of what the tag *<link rel="canonical" href= does for the bots. It tells crawlers which URL to give credit to. So duplicate content doesn't really matter much is you tell the bots where the original content came from (please correct me if I am wrong).

After using the site audit tool on Ahrefs I get about 250 errors telling me my canonical rule is missing on a bunch of pages. However, when I inspect the pages in chrome I find (what looks to me) the correct *<link rel="canonical" href= in the head of the page.

Why doesn't a page test pick up on the tag? It's totally possible I'm just not understanding what I am looking at, so please correct me if I am wrong.

0 Comments

submitted by /u/canidiy
[link] [comments]

from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/comments/k1gd8o/canonical_help/>

No comments:

Post a Comment