Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Pros and Cons of Rebranding to a New Domain

Hey fellow SEOs,

I could use some input on a side project I've been working on. A few years back, I purchased a throw-away domain for a project I was working on for my day job. I picked the domain named based upon the fact that it was generic enough that if I wanted to use it to test out some front end web dev assets (I work in tech) or do some blogging, it'd work for it.

Two years later, I certainly have done some blogging. I've published approximately three articles a week for the last two years, contracted with some freelance writers to publish their content, and even launched an essay contest with a cash prize for my readers.

As someone who works in frontend web dev and content marketing, my website's technical SEO is pretty solid and my content follows a cluster-based approach that has paid off well in terms of growing my organic traffic by about 940% in 2019.

At this point though, I'm concerned that the domain name not being specific to the niche in which I'm writing is holding me back. Had I had this "no duh" moment a year ago, I would have just purchased a new domain and moved all of my content over to its new home. But, because of the growth that my website has had, moving domains now would risk breaking backlinks (I'd set up flexible 301s if I did change domains, but I've seen enough broken links to know that sometimes things get missed), and I'm not sure whether link equity would transfer to the new domain in a 1:1 relationship with the appropriate 301s/ updated canonicals, or if I would risk having to rebuild my search engine rankings from scratch on the new domain.

I'm curious if anybody has done something similar or if you have any thoughts on the potential risk and reward of rebranding with an entirely new domain.

Edit: I also realize that I forgot to mention that all of my social profiles (hey, reddit username) reflect my current domain since that's how I've built up my branding so far. An updated domain will necessitate updating all of my accounts and oooof.... social has to be my least favorite element of digital marketing.

submitted by /u/BlakeWritesBlog
[link] [comments]

from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/comments/ei3u0p/pros_and_cons_of_rebranding_to_a_new_domain/>

No comments:

Post a Comment