Monday, April 27, 2020

SEO Advice for re-designs

Hi,

Having done a major overhaul on my website approx. 5 weeks ago, going from Joomla 3.8 to Wordpress 5.4 using Elementor Pro as a page builder.

The site beforehand wasn't performing badly in SEO results, but due to wanting to move away from Joomla and not wanting to renew our SEO plugin, I made copies of all the backlinks, SEO keywords/meta descs/titles and essentially set the new website up in Wordpress to look the same (or near enough) inc. the same text/image content.

As far as I can see, the website is identical in terms of content, images, design, and keyword/meta title/description usage. Any URLs missing from the new website had a 301 redirect to the most relevant page, and I've had Google re-index the site and see my new sitemaps.

The only real difference is my Joomla URLs were '/thispage.htm', whereby my new site has '/thispage' which redirects to '/thispage/'. There's a 301 redirect in place for '/thispage.htm' to '/thispage'.

For about two weeks after going live, the SEO rankings didn't change - fine, I'm more than happy with that.

I keep an eye on my rankings with UberSuggest, and noticed that Monday 20th April (approx 3 weeks after go-live), each of my rankings for my keywords (bar a select few) have dropped by around 50 positions. I've kept an eye on this every day since then, and they're either moving up 1 or 2 positions, or dropping further down.

Is there something I'm missing if all of the content and readability is the same?

submitted by /u/BumBuggery
[link] [comments]

from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/comments/g8xhse/seo_advice_for_redesigns/>

No comments:

Post a Comment