Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Where/How to learn SEO that actually works?

Hi there,

I am interested in becoming an SEO expert. I come from an IT background and have some experience with WordPress and coding in general.

I have followed some online Udemy courses on SEO which seemed a bit dated to me but when I applied the techniques to my website for testing i got mediocre improvement.

The main things I've learned

  • Back links are important
  • Keyword and metatag optimisation on site content
  • Good content and being consistent
  • Suburb page listings where appropriate
  • Maybe using platforms like ahrefs and Moz which i don't really understand how to use right now.

To me this all seems like pseudo science and I am trying to find a legitimate process that can take me from no rank to first page or close for a site. I realise that it obviously takes work to achieve that, I just wanted to get an idea of whether I'm missing something. Is this something people go to uni for or do they just poke around sites until they list well?

Lastly, how do people generate quality back links? Like, if the backlink is an authoritive website then chances are they won't want to list you if you're a new site right? So I'm at a loss as to how people do this? For example my Amazon affiliate site might have great articles and maybe I manage to get them posted on other people's larger blog sites but say when you are talking about local businesses what do they do by comparison?

Any courses/advice/suggestions. Keen to learn but also tired of confusing inconsistent information. Also do people use Google AdWords keywords tool these days or is that now irrelevant? Bit scared to buy in to ahrefs right now cause I don't know how to use it.

submitted by /u/mindfulness-journey
[link] [comments]

from Search Engine Optimization: The Latest SEO News https://www.reddit.com/r/SEO/comments/j2iuk7/wherehow_to_learn_seo_that_actually_works/>

No comments:

Post a Comment